The Mechatronics & Systems Automation Laboratory (MeSA) of the Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering (DECE) of Democritus University of Thrace (DUTh) is one of the oldest Laboratories of the Department. It focuses its R&D efforts in innovative ICTs in Mechatronics and Systems Automation. The Laboratory is based upon its specialized scientific personnel, its computing facilities and its special purpose equipment that includes microprocessors, experimental devices, robotic platforms, measurement systems, machine tools, CAD / CAM software, PLC and data fusion – sensors. The laboratory consists mainly of two faculty members, aided by technical staff and teaching personnel of the Department, by external collaborating researchers and Ph.D. candidates. Research in MeSA laboratory focuses on mechatronics, systems automation, robotics, analog and digital electronic systems, measurement systems, instrumentation and measurements, CAD / CAE systems, wind generators and wind data processing, standards and certification. MeSA laboratory has a long experience in R&D projects targeting data fusion, sensors with applications in robotics and automation. These projects involved computer architectures, microprocessors and their applications and intelligent and autonomous robots (humanoids, animated, underwater, flying, etc.).
Accomplishments so far:
- Mechatronic system design – robots transporting small loads
- Strong background in designing and manufacturing of telemetry measurement system using sensor
- Smart home: Mechatronic system monitoring and “averted” moisture residence for seasonal use
- Designing educational laboratory exercises for use of PLC
- Algorithms and techniques for microcomputers to solve problems of classical and modern control.
- Algorithms and techniques for signal analysis-systems.
- Application of microcomputers in industrial control and production systems.
- Strong background in Computer Graphics and CAD / CAM.
Current research directions:
- Mechatronics & Automation Systems
- Intelligent and autonomous robots
- Measurement Systems
- Fusion-sensor data with applications in robotics and automation
- Architectures and microprocessors and their applications
- Standards Formulation
- Total Quality
- Health & Safety at Work
- Material for education, e-applications
- CNC machine tools and CAD / CAM systems
- Constructional elements of machines.
- Configurations of simple manufactures and calculation of them.
- Elements of lifting and transporting machines.
- Elements of machine-shop processes and quality control.
- Mechanical elements of electricity-generating installations (Machines of internal combustion-swirls-boilers).
- Hydrodynamic machines.